Effective Date: December 11, 2022
How to contact us
If you have any questions about this policy or if you have a disability that prevents you from accessing this policy electronically and requires an alternate format, please contact us by sending an email to email@example.com or writing to:
The Jeffrey Modell Foundation
780 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10017
Information we collect
We collect information when you voluntarily provide it to us and when you visit certain parts of our website that automatically collect information. We collect information provided by you in various ways including online, by telephone, and offline, for instance when you visit our facilities in person as a guest of the foundation. Below we cover the types of information we may collect.
Information you provide directly to us
Contacting us - When you contact us via phone, email or in person to submit a job inquiry; request information about applications, programs, activities or events; participate in surveys, panels or research; register for and partake in our programs, activities, and events; participate in interactive services or online communities hosted by us; interact with us via social media including Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram; or for any other reason knowingly volunteer information to us, we may collect the following information:
- Name, address, date of birth, e-mail address and telephone number
- Organization name, address, e-mail address and telephone number
- Survey responses
Preferences, information about a disability, or requests for accommodations to the extent disclosed to us
- Other information that you choose to provide
Website visits - When you visit our website or sign up for our email lists via the website, we may collect the following information:
- Name and e-mail address
- Other information that you choose to provide
Employment applicants - If you apply for a position with the foundation, you may be asked to create an account through our Workday portal. During the application process, we may collect the following information:
- Name, address, date of birth, gender, e-mail address and telephone number
- Resume, work history, work authorization status, education, skills, professional licenses, permits or certifications, and references
- Other information you choose to provide
If we offer you employment, you may be required to complete a background check and other screenings prior to beginning work.
Suppliers - If you are a third party who provides products or services to the foundation, you may be asked to create an account through our Workday supplier portal and we may collect the following information:
- For individual suppliers: name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, W-9, tax identification numbers, and bank account information for payments
- For organizations that are suppliers: organization name, address, e-mail address and telephone number, W-9, tax identification numbers, and bank account information for payments
- Other information that you choose to provide
Other Interactions with the foundation and our agents:
In some instances, foundation personnel and agents may observe and/or document information in programs, events or activities (e.g., a career-coaching seminar for fellows) where you are a participant. Personal information collected in this manner is used in accordance with our philanthropic mission to further our work, advance potential collaborations, identify programmatic initiatives in which an individual may want to participate, and identify constituents for the foundation to engage in support of its mission.
Information automatically collected
When you visit our website, we may automatically collect information linked to your computer or device but does not directly identify you personally, including:
- IP address, the type of browser or device you are using, referring and exit pages, domain and other system settings and operating systems
- Information regarding how you interact with the website including the date and time of your visits, webpages visited, and links clicked.
The cookies we use fall into three categories.
Necessary: Necessary cookies help make the website usable by enabling basic functions like page navigation and access to secure areas of the website. The website cannot function properly without these cookies.
Functional: Functional cookies record information about the choices you have made and allow us to tailor the website to you. These cookies mean that when you continue to use or come back to the website, we can provide you with the services you have requested.
Analytics: Analytics cookies help us understand how our visitors use our website. These cookies can provide us with information to help us understand which parts of the website interest our visitors and if they experience any errors. We use these cookies to test different designs and features for our site and to help us monitor how visitors reach the website. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies.
Information we receive from third parties
We may receive the following information from third parties:
- Information about your participation in programs, events, activities or social media
- Work and qualification information and/or contact information submitted by your employer or organization in connection with a grant or fellowship application that includes you
- Contact information submitted by your employer or organization in connection with registering as a foundation supplier through our supplier portal
- Employment verification (from your previous employer if you provide us with contact information or a grant or fellowship application)
- Education information (from your previous academic institutions if you provide the names on a grant, fellowship or employment application)
- Reference information (from any references you provided on a grant, fellowship or employment application)
How we use the Information we collect
We may use the information you provide us to:
- Send email newsletters
- Process your grant or fellowship applications
- Administer or run programs, grants, fellowships or events in which you participate
- Disburse supplier payments
- Disburse grant or fellowship funds
- Respond to your inquiries and/or requests
- Compare and review your personal information for errors, omissions, and accuracy
- Recommend you for fellowships, grants, or other opportunities
- Solicit grant or fellowship applications
- Manage compliance, fraud monitoring, and security
- Provide you information relevant to the programs, grants, fellowship or other activities we think might interest you (e.g., to notify you about a conference, research opportunity or job opening)
- Process your employment application, including assessing your qualifications for a job, conducting reference checks, communicating with you the status of an application, and conducting background checks if we offer you a position, as permitted by applicable law
- Send you information regarding changes to our terms and policies
- For other purposes disclosed at the time of collection or otherwise compatible with the above and applicable law
We may use information that we collect automatically from our website to:
- Administer, maintain and improve our website
- Understand the demographics of our website visitors;
- Perform data traffic, e-commerce and other trend analyses
- Manage fraud monitoring and prevention, or other security purposes.
We may combine this information with data we receive from publicly available sources.
Additionally, we may use your information as we believe to be necessary or allowed: (a) under applicable law; (b) to comply with legal process and our legal obligations; (c) to respond to requests or requirements from public, law and government authorities (including national security and law enforcement requirements) and private parties; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others; (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain; and (h) to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, illegal, unethical, or legally actionable activity.
Sharing your Information with third parties
We do not sell your information. However, we may share your information in the following circumstances:
- Our vendors and service providers: We use a variety of vendors and service providers that help us with our administrative, operational and logistical activities such as maintaining our website, e-mail and document management, shipping, payment processing, managing our institutional and individual relationships, and facilitating programs or events. We require these providers to use your information only as necessary to provide the applicable services to us.
- Legal requirements: We may disclose your information when we reasonably believe it is required by law, subpoena or other legal process, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements, as well as to honor user access rights, as applicable.
- Protection of rights: We may transfer information to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, including our employees, contractors and agents, when we are required or permitted to do so by law.
- At your request: We may transfer information to a third party with your consent.
- Fraud detection: We may disclose information when we believe in good faith that it is necessary to investigate fraud.
Do not track
Some browsers have a “Do Not Track” feature. At this time, our website does not respond to these requests or similar signals that users may employ.
Links to other websites
As a convenience to you, our website may contain links to other sites or platforms. We do not control these third-party sites and are not responsible for their privacy practices or content. Unless this policy is expressly noted as controlling (e.g., our Workday portals), you should refer to the privacy statements of such third-party sites to find out how they collect and use your information.
We do not knowingly collect or sell any information from or about children under the age of 16. If you believe that we have received information on a child, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to this policy
We may update portions of this policy from time to time and will alert you of those changes by indicating the date of the last update. You can find the date at the top of the page. When you visit our website, you are accepting the current version of this policy as posted on the website at that time. We recommend that you revisit this policy on occasion to learn of any changes.
If you are a resident of California, the European Union, China, South Africa, India or Brazil who has questions about how we handle your personal information, you may e-mail us at email@example.com with “PRIVACY INQUIRY” in the subject line. We will consider and respond to your request as required or permitted by law.